Free Samples, Contests, Coupons and other Great Free Stuff for Canadian Women.
Looking for a way to add more veggies to your diet? Check out this great twist on traditional pesto, substituting basil and pine nuts for kale & almonds. With bright notes of lemon and rich balsamic sweetness, this pesto may quickly become your new go-to sauce for pasta, pizza and dips.
Makes about 2 cups of pesto
1 bunch or 9 oz of kale, thick stalks removed
1/2 cup of almonds
1 cup of Parmesan, freshly grated
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2-3 tablespoons of water
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted almonds)
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Zest of lemon (optional)
1. Add 1/2 of kale to food processor or blender with lemon juice and balsamic vinegar.
2. Blend until broken down then add almonds, garlic, water, olive oil, salt, pepper & red pepper flakes.
3. Blend for 2 minutes then add remaining kale & Parmesan cheese, blend until thick.
4. Add additional kale or olive oil to thicken to likeness.
5. Serve with crackers or on pasta & store for up to 1 week.
You work too hard for your money to throw it all away on full price when you don't have to!