Free Samples, Contests, Coupons and other Great Free Stuff for Canadian Women.
YUM! This looks amazing!
4 tablespoons (2oz/60g) butter
2/3 cup (180g) packed dark brown
¾ teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 ½ cups (600ml/20floz) half and half (or use half milk/ half cream)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Bananas Foster/Caramelized Bananas:
6 tablespoons (3oz/85g) butter
1/2 cup (3.5oz) packed light brown sugar
2 pinches ground cinnamon
1 pinch fine salt
3 ripe but firm bananas, peeled and sliced
1. Melt the butter and dark brown sugar in a medium-sized saucepan. When the sugar has dissolved simmer for 3 minutes over steady heat. This is an important step because you are creating your butterscotch flavor here.
2. Now pour in the half and half to stop the butterscotch from cooking further. Whisk constantly as the sugar will seize and form one big blob. Don’t worry, keep whisking and the sugar will dissolve, trust me :).
3. Next whisk your eggs and cornstarch together. Then add in a cup of the hot butterscotch mix over the the eggs. This method is called introduction- it is introducing one mix which is hot into a cold mix. You need to do this otherwise with could end up with lumps of cornstarch.
4. Once mixed, add it straight back into the pot of butterscotch mix.
5. Turn the heat up to simmer and continue to whisk the butterscotch pudding. You will see it thicken and become silky. Cook it for around 2-3 minutes. The mix does not cook really thick, but it does thicken when it goes cold so don’t worry about it not looking ‘stiff’
6. Remove from heat and stir in the rum (if using), vanilla and salt.
7. Pour into 4-6 serving glasses or custard cups and chill thoroughly, at least four hours, before serving. Lay cling film on the top of the pudding to prevent a skin forming.
Before serving make the Caramelized Bananas
1. Place the butter, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Simmer for 2-3 minute over controlled heat to create a lovely caramel.
2. Add the bananas,in a single layer. Cook until the bananas are coated with caramel, about 3 minutes. Turn them over gently and cook on the other side for 3 minutes.
3. Take off the heat and allow to cool. Top your butterscotch puddings with your caramelized bananas and enjoy.
You work too hard for your money to throw it all away on full price when you don't have to!